Jefferson Davis Parish Library is starting its new R&R Classes (formerly called FYI Classes)!
Join us as Ms. Kay Hebert will show us how to make our own homemade detergent/cleanser.
There will be a $2.00 supply fee.
This R&R class is being held on November 20, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. at the Jennings Headquarters Branch.
Due to limited space, please be sure to call 824-1210 and register with Miss Iris Hollier.
2014 Louisiana Teen Readers’ Choice Nominated Title List
- Anna Dressed in Blood by Kandare Blake, 9780765328656, 320 pgs. IL: UG – BL: 4.6 – AR Pts: 12.0 (horror, ghost story, first in a series, starred reviews, language, sequel is Girl of Nightmares)
- The Berlin Boxing Club by Robert Sharenow, 9780061579684, 416 pgs. IL: MG+ – BL: 5.7 – AR Pts: 13.0 (WWII historical fiction, boxing, Jews, Nazi Germany, 2012 Booklist Best Fiction for Young Adults, 2012 Sydney Taylor Book Award)
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, 9780316134026, 432 pgs. IL: UG – BL: 5.8 – AR Pts: 16.0 (supernatural adventure, five starred reviews, sequel is Days of Blood & Starlight, Amazon’s Top 20 Books of the Year, 2011 Kirkus Best Books for Teens, 2011 Publishers Weekly Best Books of the Year)
- Divergent by Veronica Roth, 9780062024022, 487 pgs. IL: UG – BL: 4.8 – AR Pts. 16.0 (dystopian adventure, sequel is Insurgent, being adapted into a movie, voted the “Favorite Book of 2011″ in the Goodreads Choice Awards, Publishers Weekly Best Children’s Books, School Library Journal Best Books of the Year)
- Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King, 9780316129282, 282 pgs. IL: UG – BL: 4.2 – AR Pts: 9.0 (SLJ and VOYA Starred Reviews, humorous, bullies, some language)
- The Name of the Star: Shades of London Book 1 by Maureen Johnson, 9780399256608, 384 pgs. IL: MG+ – BL: 4.9 – AR Pts: 14.0 (Jack the Ripper copycat killer mystery, heroine from Louisiana, Edgar Allan Poe Award nominee)
- Shine by Lauren Myracle, 9780810984172, 359 pgs. IL: UG – BL: 4.4 – AR Pts. 11.0 (mystery, gritty realistic fiction, National Book Award nominee, 2012 Booklist Best Fiction for Young Adults, edgy language)
- Something Like Hope by Shawn Goodman, 9780385739399, 193 pgs. IL: UG – BL: 4.3 – AR Pts. 5.0 (juvenile justice system, gritty realistic fiction, edgy language, think of a girl version of a Walter Dean Myers book, winner of the Delacorte Press Award for a First Young Adult Novel, 2012 Booklist Best Fiction for Young Adults)
- Trapped by Michael Northrop, 0545210127, 232 pgs. IL: MG+ – BL: 5.3 – AR Pts. 9.0, (realistic fiction, blizzard, kind of like the movie The Breakfast Club, some language)
- Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley, 9781442413337, 228 pgs. IL: UG – BL: 5.7 – AR Pts: 9.0 (2012 Printz Award winner, 2012 Morris Award winner, Louisiana author)